Thursday, December 28, 2006

Simple Cupcakes

I promised Inez that I'd make cupcakes with her for her birthday. Though somewhat belated and amateurish, we were quite happy with the outcome.

I bought all the stuff I needed to make Inez's cupcakes. I got myself disposable plastic piping bags, an icing nozzle, some red ladybirds (made out of sugar and damned sweet). Everything else, I figured I already have at home. I wanted something light and maybe spongy for the cake and used this lemon roll cake recipe, which thankfully has no lemon in the cake, only lemon in the filling. I wasn't sure if Inez would eat lemon cake. Since the cake is easy to make, I thought, "Perfect!"




So here's the cake recipe:


Ingredients


3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp cold water
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder


Icing
Whipping Cream
Green colouring

First, in a mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs until creamy. Then add in cold water and stir. After that, add in flour, salt and baking powder mixture and stir. Spoon batter until it fills half of the paper cups and bake in a heated oven for about 10 - 12 minutes, or until cake springs back. It makes about 10 cupcakes.

For the icing, I simply whipped some whipping cream until it's stiff. I didn't add any sugar as it was already sweet and divided it into 2 portions: one of which I added about 2 drops of dark green colouring to. In my mind, my ladybugs will be nestled in some green leaves on white background. So using my creativity, I spread some white icing over the cakes and piped some green icing over it. Voila! 3 ladybugs on some leaves, 1 ladybug on a green heart and 1 ladybug in a green circle of 'leaves', which don't look like leaves. Still need some practice I think.

No comments: